How To Implement Rel=Author and Rel=Publisher on Your Website?All
In order to be recognized by Google and other Search engines as an authority on your website, you have to implement the authorship relationship or the publisher relationship. Authorship is generally used on blogs and personal websites, where as publisher relationship is more appropriate for a business website. You can for e.g. be an author on Forbes, so you would want to establish a rel=author function in order for Google to recognize you as an author on that high authority website.
The Basic Steps in Implementing Rel=Author or Rel=Publisher
If you want to implement Google Authorship and Publishership on your website, you need to have a Google Plus profile. To start, go to “Edit Profile” and at the bottom of the page click “Contributor to”. There, hit the “Add Custom Link“, and add your website name and address. You can do these steps for all your websites.
Next, click on the “Profile” icon in your Google+ Profile, then copy the link in the address bar. It should look like this:
https://plus.google.com/+ExampleName or https://plus.google.com/012345678901234567890 (The number series differ for each profile; we can say it’s a specific Google+ API that is public).
How To Implement Authorship/Publishership
To implement Google Authorship insert this code into the <head> section of your page (replace with your Google+ Profile link):
– Make sure to replace the numbers in our example with those that appear on your profile.
To implement Google Publishership insert this code into the <head> section of your page(replace with your Google+ article link):
You can also use an author box plugin or verify your authorship directly on your Google+ profile or page by verifying your website email address.
For different CMS as WordPress, Joomla, Magento etc, there are already many plugins implementing the authorship and publishership without any development skills.
- Authorship help sending Google more local signals
- Authorship can be used on third party websites and this will increase the authority of your profile, which, at a future moment, could be used by Google as a ranking factor for all content published by a certain author
- Using Authorship can generate more leads for a copywriter / blog owner
- Authorship is increasing rankings for the private results, so all your Google+ followers will see your articles ranking on the 1st Google page for searches related to the targeted keywords
- Publishership can help in getting your brand listed in the Knowledge Graph or in the Rich Snippets
- For multi-locations businesses Publishership is a good way to send local signals to Google about the correlation between each different location, registered on Google Places and the landing page dedicated to that certain location
That’s all there is to it.